Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Death of Discourse.

I've noticed lately that nearly any discussion is hijacked by people who "Don't want to hear it."  Often people see an argument and assume that it it negative and needs to be stopped.  Why aren't people allowed to argue anymore?  Isn't that what allows us to make progress in policy?  Wouldn't alcohol still be illegal if people hadn't argued?  Wouldn't segregation be the norm if people hadn't argued?  What happens to Gay Marriage and open homosexuality/bisexuality in the military if nobody argues?

Worse still is the tendency of online communities to try to make sure their users conform to the topic.  Many discussion arise from the original topic that aren't necessarily relevant.  Almost every community I've seen has the option to ignore certain people, but people never use it.  Why is it the norm to threaten or exile people who disagree with you?  I, for one, welcome different opinions.  I certainly won't excise someone from my social circle or an online chat I control simply for disagreeing with me, or mentioning a different topic.  If they are disrupting the channel of communication (such as blasting an air horn or pasting lines sand lines of text) I can see kicking them out, but booting them for disagreeing?  Why is kicking out the dissenting opinion acceptable in groups?

No comments:

Post a Comment